Kilbourne Student section at Thomas game
C. Carter
Categories:

KFR is Back!

After a lack-luster football season last school year, Kilbourne football looked to bounce back, but it could be hard to find motivation after that.

The football team worked over the summer with a chip on their shoulders, with the mindset to put the previous season behind them and move forward, and move forward they did.

For the first time since the 2016-2017 season, the wolves started off 2-0 and currently sit at a 2-1 record.

You can feel something in the air; something feels different about these games. Could it be Freshman Quarterback, Jackson Szabo, Luke Page and Will Evans running through everyone in their way, or possibly Preston Hawkins coming back to football his senior year and catching touchdowns at WR? No matter what it is, no one can deny the fact that the atmosphere in Ron Hopper Stadium on Friday nights is feeling different this year.

Senior cornerback Braden Pullins comments on what he believes is the reason for the change, “The mindset this year is the “never again” mindset. The idea that what happened last year going 0-10 can never happen again.”

Student Section Week 1 @ Watkins Memorial

The football team never wants to feel that way again, so they are playing with a new sense of purpose.

When I’m on the field the mindset is pretty serious. I make sure to stay focused and locked in because I never know when I’m going to need to contribute to the team,” Senior Kicker Noah Granick stated. 

Granick gives a unique perspective that not a lot of others have; this being his first year of football means he was in the stands just one year ago amidst the 0-10 season.

Last year sitting in the stands was fun but we never won a game so I think being on the field this year is better because we’re actually seeing some success,” Granick added.

That energy that the football teams brings day in and day out can be felt throughout the whole stadium and gives the student section the energy it did not have last year.

“I feel like the atmosphere is a lot better, now that we’re winning, In just the boys are more confident, and just the football atmosphere, makes the games more enjoyable.” stated WKHS  junior Julia Borchers.

While it seems obvious that the games would be more enjoyable to go to when the team is winning; however, just the team being more confident in themselves, brings more hype and excitement every Friday night.

It shows the confidence students have in the team when they are willing to drive far to away games. “The Canal game last week a decent amount of people came and supported the team even though it was raining and a far drive,” Alex Chan told us. People are willing to drive the distance if they truly believe the team has a fighting chance anytime they step out onto the football field.

Freshman Quarterback Jackson Szabo

Along with the motivation behind the season, the class of 2028 was deemed to be very talented and could help the varsity squad this season. “ I think with the most hyped up class of freshmen since the 2020 NFL draft it brought a lot of optimism to our season,” Senior Logan Garber said.

Students are genuinely having more fun at the games, and that can help hype up the players down on the field. When fans are loud and into it, it can give the players another form

Football Themes
via. Kilbourne Krazies Instagram

of motivation.

“While I’m filming on the field it’s completely different from last year, it is 10x louder and way more energy when we have a big play or score. I am way more excited going to the games this year, it’s way more fun and way more energy,” Alex Chan said.

Overall, everyone looks forward to football season, it’s full of supporting your school and everyone banding together behind one goal. Last season’s trials and let downs have only led to a greater sense of community throughout the school and more excitement for this years successes. Make sure to come out and support the Worthington Kilbourne Football team each Friday and show your school spirit!