Spring in Columbus

Spring in Columbus

Ohio is a place generally characterized by its dreary and unpredictable weather, but the spring, especially in Columbus, makes up for the winter weather. There are festivals, fun traditions, local markets, amusement parks, and countless other activities, free and of charge that the Ravine will be exploring to ensure you can have the best spring possible!

First up, Columbus is full of locally owned businesses and fun shopping towns that are prime in the spring, while flowers are in bloom and ice cream weather is approaching. 

Happy Go Lucky Shop Display in the Short North

Old Worthington is home to many small businesses, ranging from restaurants, to small shops and boutiques, and even some luxury services, like Oasis FaceBar. The whole town is only about 12.5 miles square, but every corner is filled with fun things to do and beautiful things to see.

Another area similar is the Short North. The Short North is home to countless shops, restaurants, and beautiful, ivy-covered housing. It’s the perfect place for both window shoppers and spenders alike, and the beautiful displays and outdoor seating at the restaurants make for perfect photo opportunities and an even more perfect dining experience.

Of course, Easton and Polaris shopping centers are always a good idea when the weather begins to get warm. While both are known for their shops (and rightfully so), there are hidden gems in both of the areas. Polaris is home to Fieldhouse, an indoor sports gym that doubles as a trampoline park. It is also home to a movie theater, escape rooms, VR experiences, and countless restaurants. Easton is also loaded with activities; it is home to a duck bowling alley/arcade called Pins, hotels, restaurants with all types of foods, a movie theater, and smaller restaurants with any dessert you could imagine. 

Taken under the Diamondback Coaster in Cedar Point

Columbus is also home to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, and in a few months Zoombezi Bay, the 22.7-acre water park adjacent to the zoo will also reopen. Columbus Zoo is 400+ acres filled with 10,000+ animals, rides for children and adults, souvenir shops, food areas, and an aquarium where you can find fish, stingrays, and my favorite, the manatee. General Admission is free for guests under age 3, $19.99 for ages 3-9, $25.99 for ages 10-59, and $24.99 for ages 60+. 

While the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is home to some awesome roller coasters, Kings Island is one and a half hours south, an amusement park spanning 364 acres and housing 49 attractions. Admission is $54.99+ processing fees for regular admission or $85+ processing fees for Fast Lane; which allows you to skip the lines. Kings Island’s big brother, Cedar Point, is two and a half hours north of Columbus. Cedar Point is also 364 acres, housing 68 roller coasters and countless food, drink, and souvenir attractions alongside these. Regular admission tickets are $50+ processing fees online, and $95 for regular admission with fast lane. Sienna Phelps, a senior at WKHS, purchased a season pass to Cedar Point last year. She told us about the details of her purchase and gave us an overview of the experience including whether or not she would like to repurchase this summer. She shared, “I love Cedar Point. I would definitely recommend getting it because you get your value worth after three times. I went so seven so I loved it.”

Franklin Park Conservatory is the perfect spring activity. It is located along East Broad St. and it is home to 13 acres of beautiful nature, both indoor and outdoor. There are trains, play places, flowers, plants, butterflies, food, water attractions, shops, and so much more. Admission prices vary, and tickets cannot be purchased in advance.

Butterfly exhibit in Franklin Park Conservatory

Click the link to find a date! https://www.fpconservatory.org

Columbus has so many great attractions like the ones listed above and so many more, but if you are looking to save your money while also having fun, here are some ideas for you!

Go have fun in a park. Columbus has 410 parks, so look up the one closest to you and go have fun! If you aren’t sure what to do there, here’s a list: Picnic, paint, bike, fly a kite, take pictures, watch a movie, read a book, and even camping if you find a park that has campgrounds nearby!

You can also check out any libraries in the Columbus area. There are many amazing libraries here and many of them love to host crafting events such as button-making, print-and-pressing, coloring, rock painting, and sidewalk chalk.

All around, Spring in Columbus is a joyful time that can be filled with fun and excitement, it just depends on how you choose to spend it!