WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

Golden Globes Outfits

Golden Globe award pictured by Variety Magazine.

The Golden Globes is an awards ceremony for American and International film and TV that happens every January. It includes actors, directors, and musicians who create music for a project. In recent years, people have taken to social media to give their opinion on the outfits worn by celebrities on the red carpet. Kilbourne students share their opinions on popular red carpet looks. 

Margot Robbie by USA Today.

Margot Robbie attended the 2024 Golden Globes in a Barbie-inspired Giorgio Armani dress from his Fall/Winter 2022 collection. She received the nomination for best actress in a musical or comedy motion picture for her performance in Barbie. Kate Dougherty, a junior at Kilbourne, says, “I love the color, I think it’s super appropriate for Barbie, and I love her little shawl.” When asked for specifics, she replied, “I really like the pink sequins. I think they’re super fun and super playful.”

Billie Eilish by ELLE.

Billie Eilish walked down the red carpet in a Willy Chavarria set that is comprised of a beige skirt and an oversized blazer. She and her brother FINNEAS were nominated for best original song (What was I Made For), and won. Katilyn Bradshaw, a sophomore, says, “I think it’s very Billie Eilish, but I’m not a fan of the khaki skirt paired with the top and socks.” She also adds, “Honestly, she looks like an elementary teacher but in the best way possible.” 

Finneas by Golden Globes.

FINNEAS walked the red carpet with his wife, Claudia Sulewski wearing a Giorgio Armani suit. He was nominated with his sister Billie Eilish for their original song What was I Made For? and won, beating another Barbie song, I’m Just Ken. Max Gertsmann, also a sophomore, had some acute opinions.“It’s weird that his jacket is fuzzy, and it looks like he has ‘nerd’ glasses on.” he says. “I like his bowtie, but I feel like he should’ve either been all fancy with his fuzzy jacket, or in a normal suit.”

Taylor Swift by British Vogue.

Taylor Swift attended this year’s Golden Globes in a custom green Gucci dress. She was attending because her movie, Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour was nominated for best cinematic and box office achievement. Elise Johanson, a sophomore, says, “I love it. It’s very Reputation.” She continues, “I don’t like that green color for most things, but on her, I love it.”

Selena Gomez by Golden Globes.

Selena Gomez walked the red carpet wearing a custom red Giorgio Armani dress with three black rosettes. She attended because she was nominated for best actress in a television series- Musical or Comedy. The show Only Murders in the Building also received five nominations as well as several of her co-stars receiving nominations. Kailey Miller, a freshman at Kilbourne, gives her positive review, but then makes it a bit negative:  “I really like the skirt, but I don’t like the criss-cross top, and the black roses make her look like a ladybug.”

Robert Downey Jr. with his wife by Entertainment Inquirer.

Robert Downey Jr. attended the Golden Globes with his wife Susan Downey in a burgundy Dior Men’s suit. He was nominated for best supporting actor because of  his role as Lewis Strauss in Oppenheimer and won his nomination. Jan Perez is a sophomore at Kilbourne  and states, “It reminds me of John Wick’s suit, but more complicated.” However, he says ,“It’s weird how the jacket goes too far to the left. I think it would’ve looked better the traditional way.”

Pedro Pascal by Golden Globes.

Pedro Pascal attended the Golden Globes wearing a Bottega Veneta turtle neck and Bottega Veneta trousers, as well as an arm sling. He was nominated for best performance actor in a drama TV series after his role as Joel in the HBO series The Last Of Us. Micah Fenner, a junior, says “I like the shirt and that everything fits together really well.” He adds that “If anything, my least favorite part is the shoes. They look brown in the lighting, which messes everything up.”

Emma Stone by People Magazine.

Emma Stone walked the red carpet in a floral Louis Vuitton tulle gown. She attended because of her nominations as best actress in a musical or comedy motion picture and best actress in a drama TV series. She won a golden globe for her role in Poor Things as Bella Baxter. Anna Sarkosy is a freshman at Kilbourne and says “I like the roses and the colors, especially the light pink and the sage green.”  She says further that “The v-cut isn’t my favorite, and the slit is in the middle instead of the side.”

Although reviewing outfits is a big deal for many people, students seemed to have an overall positive outlook on outfits at the 2024 Golden Globe Awards.