WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

Winter Formal Planning

With February rapidly approaching, preparations for Winter Formal are well underway. The sophomore class Student Council representatives are traditionally in charge of planning the dance, with tasks ranging from making decorations to finding DJ’s and selecting the dance’s theme. In order to make sure the dance runs smoothly, these preparations begin around the end of the first quarter.   

The Commons, ready to be decorated for 2023’s Winter Formal (photo credits: Cameron Dewey)

“We started planning the blood drive in the fall, in October,” explains Ms. Lustgarten, one of the sophomore class advisors. Student Council is hosting two blood drives to raise funds for both Winter Formal and Prom: one in February, and one in April. “They’re approximately two months apart so that people who donate for the first one are also eligible to donate for the second one,” says Lustgarten. In addition to funds brought in from the blood drive, all ticket sales from Winter Formal will go towards Prom in the spring. 

One of the many blood drive flyers located throughout Kilbourne.

Along with overseeing fundraising, the Student Council sophomores are also in charge of choosing a theme, making decorations, and managing ticket sales. This year’s theme is Winter Wonderland, but the decision came after deciding against an Enchanted Forest theme: “We decided to possibly keep the Enchanted Forest theme for Prom, because we have a bigger budget so we’ll be able to use a lot more decorations and things like that,” said Kate Campbell, the sophomore class treasurer.  Campbell says that the Winter Wonderland theme lent itself to many DIY decorations, so Student Council is planning a day where representatives can cut out snowflakes and get trees made.

“As a class, we’ll be doing the decoration setup the night before [the dance] and we’ll be taking things down the night of Formal,” said Kate Campbell, the sophomore class treasurer. 

This space will soon be decorated in the Winter Wonderland theme! 

The dance will take place on February 10 from 7:30-10 p.m. All students must arrive by 9 p.m to get into the dance and tickets can be purchased for $10 online here or with cash at the door.

The result of Student Council planning in 2022 (Photo credit: Cameron Dewey)