WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS Wrestling

WKHS+Wrestling

As winter sports have wrapped up in the past weeks, a program that stood out amongst many was wrestling, led by coach Brad Todd. “Wrestling is a very hard sport that is demanding, but once you give it a try and realize how many great benefits it has for you as an individual, you start to fall in love with the sport,” Brad Todd stated.

Brad Todd is the head wrestling coach here at WKHS and he has been for the past 2 years. Coach Todd graduated from Worthington Kilbourne. He was a State Qualifier wrestler his junior year and in his senior year, he placed 4th in the state. Coach Todd later on continued to wrestle at The Ohio State University which is where he was a 2 year letter winner.

Coach Brad Todd, Kilbourne alumni turned head coach pictured here. (Michael Rich)
Senior Will Snyder winning the last highschool duel of 2024

Coach Todd stated that he “started coaching for the love of the sport and have always had a passion for working with others and trying to help them find their passion for the sport and reach their goals.”

In order to join the wrestling team here at WKHS there is a requirement that you have to be focused and be willing to work hard and learn throughout the whole season.

Boys Wrestling On Senior Night.

Although one of the biggest challenges is having young and inexperienced wrestlers, it helps to build a strong youth program which helps to construct foundation from the ground  up.

This year with the young wrestlers, they were able to accumulate a winning dual meet record. They have been able to send a lot of their wrestlers to Districts in a program that has been around for the last 10 years.

” Our goal is to continue to improve on this and have our wrestlers make it to the state tournament and get on the podium,” Coach Todd stated.

The girls team started with just one girl, and has now expanded to six girls, which is a huge improvement.

“We are going to continue to try and get more girls wrestling.  It is the fastest growing sports in Ohio. We plan to do more try-it days geared towards girls only, which are one day free clinics to introduce the sport to new wrestlers. We also plan to host a summer girls camp as well and network through the school to try and get more girls involved with our girls team.” Coach Todd Stated.

Boys Wrestling on Senior Night

Although wrestling is a hard demanding sport, once you give the sport a try you will realize the benefits. With wrestling you can gain toughness, strength and confidence.

Kwame Bonsu, freshman at WKHS