WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

Fairy Goodmothers

Fairy Goodmothers

Despite prom feeling like it’s a while away, many people are buying their prom dresses now. However, prom dresses can be quite expensive, making them inaccessible to families on low incomes. Fairy Goodmothers is a nonprofit organization in Columbus, Ohio that gives away free prom dresses.

A student is pictured searching for her dream dress. Source: Fairy Goodmothers
A recipient of one of Fairy Goodmothers’ dresses is seen above. Source: Fairy Goodmothers

Fairy Goodmothers was founded by five women or the “Founding Fairies”: Lynn Boston, Casey Cseplo, Joanne Holdreith, Barb Tingley and Kay Wilhelm. While on a trip in Chicago, they discovered the nonprofit organization The Glass Slipper Project, which gave prom dresses and accessories away for free. When the women came back, they decided to create something similar for the central Columbus area. They created their organization, held a fundraiser, and bought a vacant warehouse on Spring Street. They then cleaned out their new warehouse to hold their “Cinderella’s Closet Boutique.” They have volunteers that work year-round and several others that help out when they need it. From their first Cinderella’s Closet Boutique in 2006 to their last Cinderella’s Closet Boutique in 2023, Fairy Goodmothers has given away over 10,000 prom dresses to those who couldn’t afford to get things on their own. 

Because of this organization, hundreds of kids who otherwise would not have been able to attend prom were able to go.

A demographic of prom data across the USA is pictured. Source: Yahoo!Life

A Yahoo!Life survey from 2017 found that people in the midwest spend on average $610 dollars on prom in total, the least of all regions in the US. Yet, the midwest spends the most on prom dresses of all the regions: $242.94. For many families, that’s a week of groceries. Tickets to the actual event are often also very expensive, ranging from $40-$110 dollars, depending on the school. Attending prom is an expensive event, and organizations like Fairy Goodmothers can help ease the stress and financial strain low-income families may have. Prom is supposed to be a fun event where students can get dressed up and go out with their friends. Students should not have to worry about missing out on a classic school event because they are not able to afford a dress and accessories. This organization is not just for those in need either; anybody can make an appointment and get a dress for free.

If you are interested in getting a dress from Fairy Goodmothers, you can visit their website and schedule an appointment or walk-in after noon. You can also donate old prom dresses and money to their organization. If you are interested in volunteering at Fairy Goodmothers you can visit their website and gain more information. They have several events in which volunteers would be extremely helpful.

Source: Fairy Goodmothers