WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

Worthington Stars Special Olympics Basketball Game

Sophomore Ella Schumacher displaying a poster highlighting player #54. Taken by Emma Radick

This last week, WKHS hosted the Worthington Stars annual basketball game. This annual game alternates between being hosted at Thomas and Kilbourne, and every year it is always a night to remember. With its great turnout and many areas of the community coming to support, the energy was incredible.

A photo of the large crowd who came to support the team. Taken by Emma Radick

The Worthington Special Olympics is a team that offers year-round athletic programs for people with intellectual disabilities. Their mission statement describes how the goal of the program is to “provide sports training and competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. This provides continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy, and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills, and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes, and the community.” (via https://www.worthingtonspecialolympics.com/). They have worked hard to create a community that is accepting of all people, despite their disabilities. Athletes can participate in sports such as Basketball, Soccer, Gymnastics, and many others for free through this program. 

Kilbourne Students showing off posters that they created with the student council for the game. Taken by Emma Radick

Kilbourne’s student council was one group very involved in the game as fun as possible. Many student council members attended the game, holding up hand-made signs highlighting different members of the Worthington Stars team. Members could also be seen in the stands, helping to sell raffle tickets to attendees.

Many members of the community were seen coming out and supporting the game, one Kilbourne Sophomore who attended was Ella Schumacher, who talked about the impact of Dave Maetzold, the Columbus Blue Jackets official announcer coming to announce the game, “I also really liked that they had the Blue Jackets announcer because I feel like that made it just feel so like, professional and like they just went the extra mile.”  

Photo of Sophomore Lola Florea posing with a poster highlighting player #14. Taken by Emma Radick

Other areas of Worthington who came to support were the Worthington Youth Boosters cheer team. A group of kids, aged 7, were the official cheerleaders of the game, working to hype up the crowd during the halftimes and breaks. Click here for a video highlighting the cheerleader’s performance. 

Ohio State School for the Blind logo, found on their website

The Ohio State School for the Blind also supplied the music for the game. During the starting announcements for the game, Mr. Maetzold mentioned how The Ohio State School for the Blind has the only blind marching band in the world. They had an amazing performance of the National Anthem with one of the players of the team singing along. 

While this is one of the ways we have seen Kilbourne and the community supporting the Worthington stars, they are also holding a March Madness event with all proceeds going to the team. You can purchase a bracket for $2 and participate in the competition. Click here for a link with more information.