WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

WKHS News | By Kilbourne, For Kilbourne

Sha’carri Richardson

American Track And Field Athlete
Shacarri+Richardson

Sha’carri Richardson was born on March 25, 2000 in Dallas, Texas.

Richardson started participating in track and field when she was in middle school and she still continues today.

During her high school career in Dallas, she became a star athlete. She competed on a national level at Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) junior Olympics during her Sophomore year. There, she won the 100 meter dash.

You may ask ” What is Amateur Athletic Union?” ,  AAU is a multi- sport organization that is dedicated to the promotion  and development of  Amateur sports and development programs. AAU has more than 700,000 members nationwide along with 100,000 volunteers.

Unfortunately, a week before Richardsons Olympic trials began her biological mother passed away, but that did stop her.

Richardson states, “last week finding out my biological mother passed away and still choosing to pursue my dreams, still coming out here and still making sure to make the family that I do have on this Earth proud.”

Team USA’s female runner Sha’carri Richardson enjoyed her win in the 100m race at the World Athlete Championships by Womensrunning.com.

During her college track career at Louisiana State University (LSU), she accomplished setting a National Collegiate Athletic Association ( NCAA) record when she achieved running 10.75 seconds in the 100 meter dash. She also became the sixth fastest woman in history at the 2021 Miramar Invitational in Florida.

Although she has made many accomplishments throughout her track career, 2020 didn’t go as planned.

While Richardson was looking forward to competing in Tokyo 2020, she was given a one month suspension due to her receiving positive testing for THC in her system. Even after her suspension was over, she was unable to run under 11 seconds while her best run before her suspension was 10.75 seconds.

Sha’carri Richardson losing race to Jamaican Olympic Athlete Shericka Jackson by Pulse Sports Kenya.

Richardson also lost her first 100m event  against Jamaican female track athlete Shericka Jackson at the Prefontaine classic.

But her competition does not end there.

Today, Richardson is on Team USA and competes in the 4x100m relay, 100 meter, and 200 meter race.

Sha’carri Richardson received a gold medal in the 100m race by FOX 4 News Dallas- Fort Worth.

Richardson has made a huge comeback by getting two gold medals and a bronze metal.

Not only did she make those big accomplishments, but she also changed the course of history and re-wrote the Championships’ record books in the women’s 100m and taking the crown in 10.56 seconds which gave Richardson her first ever international title.

Richardson states, “Dreams like this come true. I’m just glad that I was able to be here for my first world championship and to do the things I’ve been working on all season.”

This year of 2024 on April 6 Sha’carri Richardson and Shericka Jackson were both looking forward to opening at the 2024 Miramar invitational meet in Florida.

Both Richardson and Jackson haven’t competed since the Prefontaine classic.

Richardson is also looking forward to her upcoming events.

This year of the 2024 track season she will be competing in her Maiden Competition alongside her rival Shericka Jackson. She will also be competing in the 2024 Paris olympic coming up soon.

If you want to keep up with her upcoming track meets and life you can look on her instagram @shacarri._daily  and on the website Olympics.com.